CHAMPVA & TRICARE Verification
What is CHAMPVA?
The VA's Civilian Health and Medical Program (CHAMPVA1) is a health benefits program in which the VA shares the cost of certain health care services and supplies with eligible beneficiaries.
Child annuitants' school certification requirements while attending KU:
- Full time enrollment status.
- School certification of DD form 2788 completed at the end of each school term.
- The DD Form is sent by DFAS to the student, or a student can get the form online2.
- Sections 1 & 2- Must be filled out by the child annuitant or his/her representative.
- Section 3- Must be filled out by the school official and forwarded to DFAS.
How to turn in your paperwork to KU:
You are responsible for submitting your request to KU every semester. You will submit this paperwork at the END of each semester (and not at the beginning). DFAS wants to know you have completed the term, not that you plan to start a term.
- Complete DD Form 27882.
- Select "Form Request3" on the certification enrollment page.
- Attach the DD Form to your request. (The MASC in Summerfield Hall Rm. 345 has a scanner available if need).
- "Delivery option" – we recommend having KU mail the paperwork to DFAS. Include the mailing address in the open box (address can be found on the DD form). Also, include a note in that box that you would like to be CC'ed on the paperwork sent to DFAS and provide your e-mail address.
- Click on "Submit Form" Please allow at least 2 weeks for processing of the verification, and monitor your email should any questions/issues arise.
*Please note that an incomplete DD Form 2788 will delay the processing of any monies due to the child annuitant’s account. If DFAS does not receive a valid DD Form 2788 within 60 days of the school term ending, the SBP payments will be suspended until they receive a completed form.
College Student Continued Eligibility for Tricare
As a student you may be eligible for TRICARE until your 23rd birthday or until you graduate, whichever comes first. For eligibility to extend beyond the age of 21, he or she must:
- Be enrolled full-time. To verify enrollment status, complete a KU Certification of Enrollment "Form Request3." When completing this form, select that you want to have it emailed to you.
- Depend on the sponsor for more than half of their financial support.
- Submit this information at an ID card issuing facility4. If neccessary, ensure that your parent has signed a power of attorney to empower you to independently complete this process and renewed your beneficiary ID.