Frequently Asked Questions

Quick Links:
Tuition, Residency and Benefits
Services for Military-Affiliated Students
Other KU Campuses
Other Information

Tuition, Residency and Benefits

Can I get in-state tuition rates as a service member, veteran or military spouse/dependent?

If you are active duty/veteran/spouse/dependent of the Armed Forces residing in (or planning to live in) Kansas, you may qualify for in-state tuition rates under the Choice Act. There are some restrictions, but more information can be found at the KU Registrar’s Armed Forces Residency page.

I plan to live in Missouri during college – can I get in-state tuition rates?

Chapter 33 Post-9/11 GI Bill® users (at the 100% rate) attending either the Lawrence or Edwards campuses may be eligible for Yellow Ribbon Program funding. KU Medical Center does not have Yellow Ribbon Program funding.

If I am using tuition assistance, what do I need to submit to KU?

Please submit tuition assistance authorization forms to KU Student Account Services in Strong Hall room 21/23, via email at, or via fax at 785-864-1520. If you have questions or need help with this, please email or call 785-864-3322.

I want to use VA benefits this semester. What forms do I need to turn in?

Visit our Using VA Benefits page for more details.

I am currently eligible for more than one chapter of benefits. Can I use more than one?

While a student may be eligible for more than one benefit chapter, per federal law, they may only use one benefit at a time. In addition, in order to use Ch. 33 Post-9/11 GI Bill, you must make an irrevocable election to use Ch. 33 and waive your eligibility in any other chapter of benefits (this does not include Ch. 31 Vocational Rehabilitation).

How much will my books/housing stipend be?

Your book stipend is dependent on how many credit hours you attend up to a maximum of $1,000 per calendar year. Your housing stipend is determined by your rate of pursuit, your eligibility percentage, and the Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) rate for an E-5 w/ dependents based on the zip code of the school (66045). While changes to the BAH rate are effective January 1, housing stipends are not effective until August 1 of each calendar year. The GI Bill calculator page will provide detailed information.

Classes have already started and I have not received my benefits, will KU charge me a late fee or cancel my enrollment since my tuition has not been paid?

When you have completed your paperwork, you are automatically placed on deferment, giving you until the end of the semester to pay your tuition and fees.

I served/am serving in the National Guard or a Reserve branch, where can I find further information related to Guard and Reserves benefits?

For information on opportunities for financial support go to our benefits page.

How do I contact the VA if I have questions regarding my benefits?

The first source for information regarding VA benefits is the GI Bill website. If you have specific questions regarding your individual eligibility or benefits, you can submit a question using the Ask-A-Question link (which requires you to log in) or call the GI Bill hotline at (888) GI-Bill1 (442-4551).

What is The Forever GI Bill, and how will it effect my current education benefits?

To find more information about The Forever GI Bill please visit the GI Bill website.​

Services for military-affiliated students

Is there a student group for military-affiliated students?

Yes, the KU Chapter of the Student Veterans of America. Contact them by visiting the Rockchalk Central page, Facebook, or Twitter. You can also email them at

Where is the Military-Affiliated Student Center?

We are located on the 3rd floor of Summerfield Hall, Room 345 and hours of operation are 0800 to 1700, Monday through Friday.

What resources does the Military-Affiliated Student Center provide?

​We provide a space where active duty, National Guardsmen, Reservists, veterans, spouses, dependents, and ROTC cadets can get help with VA paperwork, relax, and study.

Amenities include:

  • A lounge with WIFI, computers with CAC readers, and cable TV
  • Printing
  • Coffee with a break room
  •  Meeting/conference rooms
  • Kansas Commission on Veteran Affairs who can assist with VA paper work

What tutoring services are available?

The KU Academic Achievement and Access Center assists with tutoring services. They offer fee waivers to military/veterans. Request a Tutor Group, be sure to indicate your military affiliation, select your tutor group or submit an "Unlisted Group Request," and someone will be in touch with you.

How can I find out what's going on for military-affiliated students?

You can sign up for the email listserv and/or follow us on Facebook for the latest news and information.

Do you have a Veterans Affairs representative located on campus?

Yes. Located in the Military-Affiliated Student Center we a have a representative from The Kansas Commission on Veterans Affairs that provides services such as, filing VA disability compensation claims, requesting a copy of DD-214, and providing information about benefits for veterans offered by the state of Kansas.


I just received orders and must deploy, what do I do?

Please visit our Deployment page for detailed information.

I am a returning deployed student, what do I do to reinstate my college career at KU?

When you are ready to return, email the Office of the Registrar at They will assist you with your return to the University and in most cases you will be readmitted within 48 hours. They will also help put you in contact with an academic advisor, if you are required to meet with one, in order to enroll. Please visit our Deployment page for detailed information.

Other KU campuses

I attend classes at Edwards Campus. Do I have to turn my paperwork in at Lawrence Campus?

No, you can submit your paperwork to Lisa Browning in Regents Center, Rm 210F.

I am a present/future KU Medical Center student and have questions regarding services for student veterans, whom do I contact?

Contact the Veteran Services Coordinator, Student Financial Aid, located in Dykes Library. You may stop by, call 913-588-5170 or email You can also visit their Military and Veterans Affairs page.

Other Information

Parents who have transferred GI Bill benefits to their children and want to be able to chat with KU directly regarding their account will need to have their student delegate access to a parent. 

VA website Questions and Answers - You can log in and contact the VA directly. 

‘‘GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at"

More Information

Prospective/New Students

Faculty and Staff Resources

Frequently Asked Questions

Stay informed! Military-Affiliated Student Email Listserv

VA benefits questions:

785-864-2458 or

Stop by the Military-Affiliated Student Center in Summerfield Hall room 345

MASC Facebook Feed
One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
23rd nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets," Military Times
KU Today