Quick Links:
Tuition & Residency
TA/VA Benefits
Services for Military-Affiliated Students
Other KU Campuses
Other Information

 Tuition & Residency  

Can I get in-state tuition rates as a service member, veteran or military spouse/dependent?
If you are active duty/veteran/spouse/dependent of the Armed Forces residing in (or planning to live in) Kansas, you may qualify for in-state tuition rates under the Choice Act. There are some restrictions, but more information can be found at the KU Registrar’s Armed Forces Residency page.
I plan to live in Missouri during college – can I get in-state tuition rates?
The Chapter 33 Post-9/11 GI Bill® users (at the 100% rate) attending either the Lawrence or Edwards campuses may be eligible for Yellow Ribbon Program funding. KU Medical Center does not have Yellow Ribbon Program funding.

How does the Yellow Ribbon Program work at the University of Kansas?

Once a student has been accepted into the Yellow Ribbon Program the University of Kansas will provide contributions during the current academic year and all subsequent academic years in which the University of Kansas is participating in the Yellow Ribbon Program and the student maintains satisfactory progress, conduct, attendance and has eligibility remaining. A Yellow Ribbon recipient must remain continuously enrolled (excluding the summer term) at KU or he/she will need to reapply for the Yellow Ribbon program. A student must also reapply if he/she does not use funding from the program.

 TA/VA Benefits

I want to use VA benefits this semester. What forms do I need to turn in?
Visit our Using VA Benefits page for more details.

Where can I go to find a copy of my statement of benefits?

Visit vets.gov and complete the following steps:

  1. Log-in to vets.gov.
  2. Select "Manage Your Health and Benefits" tab. 
  3. Select "Check Post-9/11 GI Bill Benefits" link.
  4. Click the green "View Your GI Bill Benefits" link.
  5. Select print the "Statement of Benefits."
Will 8-week, Intersession, Winter Break and other non-standard courses affect my VA benefits?
Potentially. The university may consider a student full time for a semester despite shorter courses, but VA benefits are charged by the day. That means Intersession, Winter Break, 8-week and other short-term, non-standard courses can affect your full-time status. Students need to be full time for the entire semester or term-long courses to receive maximum VA benefits. This is not a problem if a shorter course is in excess of the 12 credit hours (e.g. a student takes 15 credits and one, 3-credit course is an 8-week course. This still leaves a student with 12 semester-long courses). Non-standard courses can also cause students to unintentionally use more of their VA benefits than anticipated. Students with questions/concerns are encouraged to reach out to the KU Military-Affiliated Student Center before classes start.
Classes have already started and I have not received my VA benefits, will KU charge me a late fee or cancel my enrollment since my tuition has not been paid?
When you have completed your Using VA Benefits paperwork, you are automatically placed on deferment, giving you until the end of the semester to pay your tuition and fees.
How much will my books/housing stipend be with the Post-9/11 GI Bill?
Your book stipend is dependent on how many credit hours you attend, up to a maximum of $1,000 per calendar year. Your housing stipend is determined by your rate of pursuit, your eligibility percentage, and the Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) rate for an E-5 w/ dependents based on the zip code of the school (66045). While active duty BAH rates are effective January 1, housing stipends are not effective until August 1 of each calendar year. The GI Bill calculator page will provide detailed information.
What is The Forever GI Bill, and how will it affect my current education benefits?
To find more information about The Forever GI Bill please visit the GI Bill website.
I am using tuition assistance. What do I need to do?

Servicemembers who wish to use tuition assistance should speak with their Education Services Officer (ESO) or counselor within their Military Service prior to enrolling.

Questions on how to utilize tuition assistance at the University of Kansas can be directed to the Office of the University Registrar at 785-864-4423 or kuva@ku.edu.

 Services for Military-Affiliated Students

Is there a student group for military-affiliated students?
Yes, the KU Chapter of the Student Veterans of America. Contact them by visiting the Rockchalk Central page, Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter. You can also email them at kusva@ku.edu.
Where is the Military-Affiliated Student Center?
We are located on the 3rd floor of Summerfield Hall, Room 345 and hours of operation are 0800 to 1700, Monday through Friday.
What resources does the Military-Affiliated Student Center provide?

We provide a space where active duty, National Guardsmen, Reservists, veterans, spouses, dependents, and ROTC cadets can get help with VA paperwork, relax, and study.

Amenities include:

  • A lounge with WIFI, computers with CAC readers, and cable TV
  • Printing
  • Coffee with a break room
  •  Meeting/conference rooms
  • Kansas Commission on Veteran Affairs who can assist with VA paperwork
Are tutoring services available?
The KU Academic Achievement and Access Center assists with tutoring services. They offer fee waivers to military/veterans. Request a Tutor Group, be sure to indicate your military affiliation, select your tutor group or submit an "Unlisted Group Request," and someone will be in touch with you.
How can I find out what's going on for military-affiliated students?
You can sign up for the email listserv and/or follow us on Facebook for the latest news and information.
Do you have a Veterans Affairs representative located on campus?
Yes. Located in 345 Summerfield, we a have a representative from The Kansas Commission on Veterans Affairs that provides services such as, filing VA disability compensation claims, requesting a copy of DD-214, and providing information about benefits for veterans offered by the state of Kansas.


I just received orders and must deploy, what do I do?
Please visit our Deployment page for detailed information.
I'm deploying in between semesters. Do I need to inform KU?
I am returning from a deployment, what do I do to reinstate my college career at KU?
When you are ready to return, email the Office of the Registrar at kuva@ku.edu. They will assist you with your return to the University and in most cases, you will be readmitted within 48 hours. They will also help put you in contact with an academic advisor, if you are required to meet with one, in order to enroll. Please visit our Deployment page for detailed information.

Other KU Campuses 

I attend classes at Edwards Campus. Do I have to turn my paperwork in at Lawrence Campus?
No, you can submit your paperwork to Lisa Browning in Regents Center, Rm 210F.
I am a present/future KU Medical Center student and have questions regarding services for student veterans, whom do I contact?
Contact the Veteran Services Coordinator, Student Financial Aid, located in Dykes Library. You may stop by, call 913-588-5170 or email veterans@kumc.edu. You can also visit their Military and Veterans Affairs page.
I am a present/future student at the KU Edwards Campus and have questions regarding services for student veterans, whom do I contact?
Contact the Veteran Services Coordinator, Student Financial Aid, located in Regents Center, Rm. 210F. Stop by or call 913-879-8615 or email veterans@kumc.edu. You can also visit their Military and Veterans Affairs page.

Other Information

Parents who have transferred GI Bill benefits to their children and want to be able to chat with KU directly regarding their account will need to have their student delegate access to a parent. 

VA website Questions and Answers - You can log in and contact the VA directly. 


‘‘GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill."

Current News

Now hiring summer and fall VA Work Study students to work at the center.

KU ranked as No. 5 best schools in country for veterans

Congratulations to KU's 2019 Women's Hall of Fame inductees. We are proud and excited that one of our student staff members and Student Veterans of America officer, Army veteran Stacy Hague, has been named KU’s Outstanding Nontraditional Woman Student of the year!


Quick Links

VA benefits questions?

  • 785-864-2458 or veterans@ku.edu
  • Stop by the Military-Affiliated Student Center, 345 Summerfield Hall
MASC Facebook Feed
One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
5th nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets: Colleges," Military Times
KU Today