Incoming Students

Dear incoming Jayhawk,

We’re honored that you’ve chosen to join the more than 1,300 military-affiliated students pursuing their education each year at KU. We are your centralized resource as you move to, through and beyond KU.  

Get ready for college

Step 1: Applying to KU

Apply for admission

  • Military/veterans: We offer undergraduate admission application fee waivers for you. To verify your military status, submit a copy of your orders, AARTS, SMARTS or DD-214 to the Office of Admissions via email, fax (785-864-5017) or mail. Other students may be eligible for a fee grant.
  • ACT/SAT: Students 21 years of age and older do not need to submit standardized test scores as part of their application.
  • Have your high school (if you have fewer than 24 transferable semester credit hours) and/or college send official transcripts to KU Office of Admissions, 1502 Iowa Street, Lawrence, KS 66045-7576. For those with a GED/high school equivalency exam, visit the high school equivalency exam page for more info.
    • What classes may transfer? Before you're admitted, view courses that have previously transferred to KU by visiting CredTran.
  • Veterans: To get college credit for military training, order a copy of your military transcripts from the JST system. (Air Force – get yours from the CCAF). 

GI Bill users: Apply for your GI Bill Certificate of Eligibility at

Step 2: After the acceptance letter arrives

1. Visit the First-Year Experience page and follow the steps to create your KU ID, register for orientation, and plan your trip to KU.

2. Apply for in-state residency status, if applicable.

3. Stay informed. Sign up for the military-affiliated student newsletter.

Step 3: Using VA Benefits

Tip: Make copies of all important documents (i.e. VA certificate of eligibility letter, military orders, DD-214, etc.) and keep them in a binder. Never give away your only/last copy.

The VA can take 8-10 weeks to process new GI Bill users' benefits, so complete your paperwork well before your first semester begins to ensure the VA has time to process/disperse benefit. At KU, on average, it takes up to 10 business days for us to send a complete packet to the VA. Peak times of the year can take longer.

Complete before orientation or stop by 345 Summerfield after you see your orientation advisor:

Your VA benefits paperwork

  • If applicable (ONLY for students using Ch. 33 Post-9/11 GI Bill who will live in Missouri during school), Yellow Ribbon application.

‘‘GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at"

We are working remotely

Staff are still available to assist you virtually via email, phone or Zoom.

Email or call 785-864-2458 (feel free to leave a voicemail if we aren't able to answer your call right away). If you'd like to schedule a Zoom video meeting, please indicate that in your message.

Please visit for the most up-to-date University of Kansas information.

Quick Links

VA benefits questions?

MASC Facebook Feed