Guide for withdrawing when called to active military duty

Complete the following if you are:

  • Called to active duty and need to withdraw from classes.
  • Deploying in between semesters and will miss a fall or spring semester.

1. Notify your instructors in writing. Provide reasonable notice; don't wait until the last minute.

2. Turn in a completed an Active military duty request to withdraw form.

Money & fees

A 100% adjustment in tuition and fee will be made for withdrawn classes. Partial refunds will be given when it is appropriate to award credit for some classes and not others. The Office of the University Registrar will contact offices (if requested) to arrange refunds for optional fees (e.g., bus pass, career planning service, etc.)

Note: Refunds will not be immediately available. Refund checks will be sent to your forwarding address or that of your designated contact or representative.


The cancellation deadlines for your school will be used to determine whether the courses are canceled or a "W" is recorded on your transcript. These dates can be found in the Academic Calendar.

There will be no record of the reason for your cancelation or withdrawal, however, you will be able to document the date of your service via military records.

Grading/Incompletes: These decisions are made by the faculty on the basis of the work done-to-date and the rules governing the course. At your request, we will ask the Academic Achievement and Access Department to notify your instructors of your military status and that you will be contacting them by phone or e-mail about the possibility of a grade or an incomplete in the course.


Student Housing will be contacted and informed of your intent to exit the university. Depending on individual circumstances, it is possible to arrange for a delayed check-out from your residence hall.

Financial Aid

Financial Aid and Scholarships will be informed of your student status and will make adjustments according to their guidelines.

Other issues

The Office of the University Registrar will make other contacts as requested on the Active military duty request to withdraw form to assist in a quick exit from KU.

Returning to KU

Contact the VA Certifying Official or the Military-Affiliated Student Center when you are ready to return to KU. They will assist you with the readmission process in any way they can.

Visit with your advisor to discuss plans for your return, i.e. retaking courses or what courses you will need to enroll in upon your return.

Our Fall 2020-Spring 2021 hours can be found here.

Staff are available to assist you virtually via email, phone or video chat. In-person assistance is limited and requires an appointment.

Please fill out our contact form so we can better assist you.

Please visit for the most up-to-date University of Kansas information.

We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Quick links

Questions? Contact us.

MASC Facebook Feed