KU recognizes student veterans and military students with a cumulative 3.0 GPA or higher with Military and Veteran Honor Cords to wear at graduation.
These red, white and blue cords are a special recognition to show KU's gratitude and respect for the men and women who have made an unwavering commitment to both their nation and their academic studies.
This is a voluntary program. Students attending graduation must apply and pick up a free cord prior to graduation.
If you have applied for graduation, have a cumulative GPA of 3.0, and are:
- Honorably discharged student veteran, or
- Currently serving military student (Active, Guard, Reserves), or
- ROTC cadet
What we need to verify status
- DD-214 (veterans) or valid military ID card (Active/Guard/Reserve). Expired/veteran ID cards cannot be used.
Where/when to pick up cords
- December graduates: Beginning Dec. 4. See "Alternate pickups" for the location based on your campus.
- May graduates primary pickup: Annual Military-Affiliated Community Year-End/Graduation Reception and Honor Cord Ceremony. This event is free and open to all military-affiliated students, alumni, staff, faculty and their guests.
- April 24, 2019, 4:30-6 p.m., Adams Alumni Center. More details/RSVP info coming soon.
- Alternate pickups:
- After May 1, Lawrence undergraduate/graduate students: Military-Affiliated Student Center, 345 Summerfield Hall (1300 Sunnyside Lane), Mon.-Fri., 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- ROTC cadets: You will receive from your respective units.
- After May 1, Lawrence graduate students: Graduate Military Programs, 222 Strong Hall, Mon.-Fri., 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- After May 1, KU-Edwards students: Office of Student Services, Regents Center, Room 210F. Questions? Contact Lisa Browning at 913-897-8615.
- After May 1, KU Medical Center students: Dykes Library, Registrar's Office, Room G035. Contact John at 913-588-7055
- Online students participating in commencement: nearest KU location. If picking up outside of Lawrence, please call 785-864-2458 or email firstname.lastname@example.org by Nov. 30 (December graduates) or April 25 (May graduates) so we can make sure there's a cord for you.
- Stop by the Military-Affiliated Student Center, 345 Summerfield Hall; call 864-2458; or email email@example.com