KU recognizes student veterans and military students who have met certain academic thresholds with Military and Veteran Honor Cords to wear at graduation.
These red, white and blue cords are a special recognition for those who have made an unwavering commitment to both their nation and their academic studies.
This is a voluntary program. Students attending graduation must apply and pick up a free cord prior to graduation.
1. You must have applied for and been approved for graduation and be:
- An honorably discharged student veteran, or
- Currently serving military student (Active, Guard, Reserves), or
- ROTC cadet
2. Undergraduate students must also have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
Graduate students – GPA verfication is not needed.
What we need to verify status
- DD-214 or valid military ID card. Expired IDs and veteran ID cards cannot be used.
Where/when to pick up cords
- December graduates primary pickup: Military-Affiliated Awards and Honor Cord Ceremony. This event is free and open to all military-affiliated students, alumni, staff, faculty and their guests.
- December 12, 4:30-6 p.m. (social begins at 4:30, ceremony begins at 5:15 p.m.), Adams Alumni Center. More details/RSVP info coming soon.
- May graduates primary pickup: Annual Military-Affiliated Community Year-End/Graduation Reception and Honor Cord Ceremony. This event is free and open to all military-affiliated students, alumni, staff, faculty and their guests.
- End of April 2020, 4:30-6 p.m. (social begins at 4:30, ceremony begins at 5:15 p.m.), Adams Alumni Center. More details/RSVP info available in the Spring.
- Alternate pickups:
- Beginning Dec. 13 (December graduates); May 1 (May graduates), Lawrence undergraduate/graduate students: Military-Affiliated Student Center, 345 Summerfield Hall (1300 Sunnyside Lane), Mon.-Fri., 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- ROTC cadets: You will receive from your respective units.
- Lawrence graduate students: Graduate Military Programs, 222 Strong Hall, Mon.-Fri., 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- KU-Edwards students: Office of Student Services, Regents Center, Room 210F. Questions? Contact Lisa Browning at 913-897-8615.
- KU Medical Center students: Dykes Library, Registrar's Office, Room G035. Contact John at 913-588-7055
- Online students participating in commencement: nearest KU location. If picking up outside of Lawrence, please call 785-864-2458 or email email@example.com by Dec. 6 (December graduates) or April 25 (May graduates) so we can make sure there's a cord for you.
- Stop by the Military-Affiliated Student Center, 345 Summerfield Hall; call 864-2458; or email firstname.lastname@example.org