KU recognizes student veterans, military students and ROTC students who have met certain academic thresholds with Military and Veteran Honor Cords to wear at graduation.
These red, white and blue cords are a special recognition for those who have made an unwavering commitment to both their nation and their academic studies.
This is a voluntary program. Students attending graduation must apply and pick up a free cord prior to graduation.
1. You must have applied for and been approved for graduation and be:
- An honorably discharged student veteran, or
- Currently serving military student (Active, Guard, Reserves), or
- ROTC cadet
2. Undergraduate students must also have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
Graduate students – GPA verfication is not needed.
What we need to verify status
- DD-214 or valid military ID card. Expired IDs and veteran ID cards cannot be used.
Where/when to pick up cords
- December graduates primary pickup: Military-Affiliated Awards and Honor Cord Ceremony. This event is free and open to all military-affiliated students, alumni, staff, faculty and their guests.
- December 12, 4:30-6 p.m. (social begins at 4:30, ceremony begins at 5:15 p.m.), Adams Alumni Center. More details/RSVP info coming soon.
- May graduates primary pickup: Annual Military-Affiliated Community Year-End/Graduation Reception and Honor Cord Ceremony. This event is free and open to all military-affiliated students, alumni, staff, faculty and their guests.
- April 29, 4:30-6:30 p.m. (social begins at 4:30, ceremony begins at 5:15 p.m.), Adams Alumni Center. More details/RSVP info available in the Spring.
- Alternate pickups:
- Beginning Dec. 13 (December graduates); May 1 (May graduates), Lawrence undergraduate/graduate students: Military-Affiliated Student Center, 345 Summerfield Hall (1300 Sunnyside Lane), Mon.-Fri., 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- ROTC cadets: You will receive from your respective units.
- Lawrence graduate students: Graduate Military Programs, 222 Strong Hall, Mon.-Fri., 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- KU-Edwards students: Office of Student Services, Regents Center, Room 210F. Questions? Contact Lisa Browning at 913-897-8615.
- KU Medical Center students: Dykes Library, Registrar's Office, Room G035. Contact John at 913-588-7055
- Online students participating in commencement: nearest KU location. If picking up outside of Lawrence, please call 785-864-2458 or email email@example.com by Dec. 6 (December graduates) or April 25 (May graduates) so we can make sure there's a cord for you.
- Stop by the Military-Affiliated Student Center, 345 Summerfield Hall; call 864-2458; or email firstname.lastname@example.org