KU recognizes student veterans and military students with a cumulative 3.0 GPA or higher with Military and Veteran Honor Cords to wear at graduation.
These red, white and blue cords are a special recognition to show KU's gratitude and respect for the men and women who have made an unwavering commitment to both their nation and their academic studies.
This is a voluntary program. Students attending graduation must apply and pick up a free cord prior to graduation.
Sign up to receive notification on cord distribution dates
If you are an eligible student planning on graduating this spring, be sure to subscribe to Veterans email Listserv so we can keep you informed.
If you have applied for graduation, have a cumulative GPA of 3.0, and are:
- Honorably discharged student veteran, or
- Currently serving military student (Active, Guard, Reserves)
What we need to verify status
- DD-214 (veterans) or valid military ID card (Active/Guard/Reserve). Expired ID cards cannot be used.
Where/when to pick up cords
- Primary pickup: April 27, 2017, 4:30 to 6 p.m., KU Alumni Association during the Annual Veterans Year-End/Graduation Reception. This event is free and open to all military-affiliated students, alumni, staff, faculty and their guests.
- Alternate pickups:
- After May 1, Lawrence undergraduate/graduate students: Military-Affiliated Student Center, 345 Summerfield Hall (1300 Sunnyside Lane), Mon.-Fri., 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- After May 1, Lawrence graduate students: Graduate Military Programs, 222 Strong Hall, Mon.-Fri., 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- After May 1, KU-Edwards students: Office of Student Services, Regents Center, Room 210F. Questions? Contact Lisa Browning at 913-897-8615.
- After May 1, KU Medical Center students: dykes Library, Registrar's Office, Room G035. Contact Jon Huber at 913-588-7055
- TBD, KU School of Medicine-Wichita:
- TBD, KU School of Pharmacy-Wichita:
- TBD, KU School of Medicine-Salina:
- Online students participating in commencement: nearest KU location (if picking up outside of Lawrence, please call 785-864-2458 or email email@example.com by April 25 so we can make sure there's a cord for you)
- Stop by the Student Veteran Center, 345 Summerfield Hall; call 864-2458; or email firstname.lastname@example.org