Due to the COVID-19 outbreak and guidance from the CDC, we will mail honor cords.
Share photos of you wearing/displaying your cord on social media and use the hashtag #KUvetgrad2021
(Technically December graduates are graduating in the 2020-21 academic year, hence the Class of 2021)
KU recognizes student veterans, military students and ROTC students who have met certain academic thresholds with Military and Veteran Honor Cords to wear at graduation.
These red, white and blue cords are a special recognition for those who have made an unwavering commitment to both their nation and their academic studies.
This is a voluntary program. Students attending graduation must apply for a free cord prior to graduation.
1. You must have applied for and been approved for graduation and be:
- An honorably discharged student veteran, or
- Currently serving military student (Active, Guard, Reserves), or
- ROTC cadet who will be commissioning upon graduation
2. Undergraduate students must also have an anticipated cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher. You can use the GPA calculator to determine if your anticipated final semester grades positively affect your eligibility.
Graduate students – GPA verfication is not needed.
What we need to verify status
- If you're a VA education benefits user, we can verify your eligibility with your student ID number - please include in the form below
- DD-214 if prior service. We recommend blacking out your SSN for security purposes
- Most recent LES or valid military ID card if currently serving. Expired IDs and veteran ID cards cannot be used. If you wish to show an ID, for security purposes we will set up a quick video appointment vs. you scanning/emailing.
Where/when to pick up cords
- December graduates primary pickup:
- Due to the COVID-19 outbreak and guidance from the CDC, we are unable to have our in-person ceremony. Please complete the form below and we will mail you your cord.
- May graduates primary pickup: Annual Awards & Honor Cord Ceremony. This event is free and open to all military-affiliated students, alumni, staff, faculty and their guests.
Questions? Call 785-864-2458; or email firstname.lastname@example.org