Student Services

The University of Kansas is here to help support you academically, professionally, and personally. Our team of veteran support is here to help you navigate KU, as well as the community and VA services that are available to you.

  • Before you enroll at KU, check out Veterans Upward BoundVUB motivates and assists veterans in the development of academic and other requisite skills necessary for acceptance and success in college. The program provides assessment and enhancement of basic skills through counseling, mentoring, tutoring and academic instruction in the core subject areas.
  • Join KU Student Veterans of America — Open to all KU students, including those who support the military but have not served. KU SVA’s mission is to assist military-affiliated students through advocacy; facilitating professional development; and providing leadership, service and camaraderie opportunities.
  • Become a member of KU Veterans Alumni Network — Open to all military-affiliated alumni and friends.
  • Check out deployment/military activation information For current students called to active duty during or in between semesters.
  • PAVE @ KU Transition, Support & Success. Peer mentoring program, open to all military-affiliated students.

VA Services on Campus

Are you in need of assistance with issues relating to the Department of Veteran Affairs, such as enrolling in VA health care, filing for compensation or have questions about the Vocational Rehabiltation program? KU has the convenience of having a VetSuccess on Campus (VSOC) Counselor, and a Kansas Commission of Veteran Affairs Veterans Service Representative (VSR) located on campus.

Kansas Commission on Veteran Affairs

The Kansas Commission on Veteran Affairs Office (KCVAO) provides a Veterans Service Representative free of charge to assist veterans & their families with applying for benefits.


Your KCVAO can help you file VA claims for:

  • Service connected disability compensation benefits.
  • VA appeals.
  • VA health care benefits.
  • Non-service connected pension benefits.
  • Spouse and dependent benefits.
  • State VA benefits.

The KCVAO can also assist with:

  • Obtaining service, medical, discharge documents ( DD-214).
  • Obtaining medals & awards issued to servicemembers.
  • Corrections for DD-214s'.
  • Locating resources for homeless Veterans.


  • Servicemembers and veterans.

For more information contact:

Clint Olson
(785) 843-5233
345 Summerfield Hall

VetSuccess on Campus

javascript:void(0)The VetSuccess on Campus (VSOC) program is a collaborative effort between KU and the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) with the purpose of providing a supportive on-campus environment for student veterans. Services provided will enable student veterans to make a smooth transition to college life and successfully complete their educational programs.

VSOC Services:

  • Guidance & support to help maximize your GI Bill benefits.
  • Personalized career counseling.
  • Connection to other VA benefits, e.g. VA health care & mental health services.
  • Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment (VR&E) case management.


  • Servicemembers and veterans.
  • Spouses/dependents eligible for VA education benefits.

For more information, or to set up an appointment, contact:


Quick Links

VA benefits questions?

Current News
MASC Facebook Feed
One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
5th nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets: Colleges," Military Times