Using VA Benefits
Questions? Stop by 345 Summerfield Hall or contact us at 785-864-2458 or email@example.com.
You may also contact the Office of the University Registrar in Room 121 Strong Hall, firstname.lastname@example.org, or 785-864-4423.
New and transfer students
GI Bill paperwork must be done every semester. See "Returning/Continuing students" for those steps if you are a continuing student.
- Apply for VA benefits through the VA: Vets.gov. (Transferring benefits to spouse/dependent? Visit transfer of benefits). The VA will mail you a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) or Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) 4-10 weeks after you complete your application
- Complete the "New Request" form once you have a KU ID. Do this before Orientation.
- Transferring benefits from another university? You'll indicate that in the "New Request" form and we'll complete the benefits transfer process for you
- Complete in-state tuition forms based on Armed Forces Residency. ONLY for students using Post-9/11 GI Bill at the 100% level who live in Missouri, complete the Yellow Ribbon Application.
- Set up your KU direct deposit so any refunds can be deposited into your bank account.
- (Optional form): Only for Ch. 33 Post-9/11 GI Bill users receiving additional financial aid/scholarships, complete the VA Educational Benefits - Early Release of Funds. You will need to upload a copy of your COE.
- (Optional form): Want like a third party to access your account (i.e. a parent)? Delegate access. Delegates can be authorized to pay bills, check the status of VA benefits, etc.
- ONLY students receiving either the Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty (Ch. 30) or Selected Reserve (Ch. 1606) MUST verify their enrollments monthly to receive payments. This verification can be done either by using the WAVE application or by automated telephone system (TVR) at 1-877-823-2378.
Returning and continuing students
Note: If you have not been enrolled for at least one fall or spring semester, you need to complete a "New Request" form on the Use VA Educational Benefits page. If you're changing benefits (e.g. from Ch. 30 to Ch. 33), please also submit a "New Request" form.
Submit the following each semester you're using VA benefits:
- Complete the "Continued Request" form. Do this before you enroll to avoid delays in processing.
- ONLY for Ch. 33 Post-9/11 GI Bill users receiving additional financial aid/scholarships: VA Educational Benefits - Early Release of Funds.
- ONLY students receiving either the Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty (Ch. 30) or Selected Reserve (Ch. 1606) MUST verify their enrollments monthly to receive payments. This verification can be done either by using the WAVE application or by using the automated telephone system (TVR) at 1-877-823-2378.
Guest students taking a class at KU but getting a degree from another school
- Visit the Use VA Educational Benefits page and complete the appropriate version of the request form.
- Have the VA Certifying Official at your other school send the KU VA certifying official a "Parent School Letter" so that your enrollment at KU can be certified to the VA.
- Provide any required paperwork for in-state tuition based on Armed Forces Residency or (only for Students using Chapter 33 Post-9/11 GI Bill at the 100% level who live in Missouri) the Yellow Ribbon Application.
Students who submit their request to use VA benefits form each semester will have a deferment placed on their account for tuition and required campus fees.
The deferment payment schedule is listed below:
|Fall Semester||December 15|
|Spring Semester||May 15|
|Summer Semester||August 15|
*You are under no obligation to use the deferment and you may pay your tuition and required fees in full at any time.
The tuition and required fees deferment is a privilege not a right. Please note the following information:
- You agree to pay the full tuition and required fees by the tuition due date.
- You have been approved for a deferment of tuition and required fees. If you change your schedule or if your enrollment status changes, it may require reassessment of tuition and campus fees.
- You must pay in person at the cashier's office no later than 4 p.m. on the due date of each installment or online on the KU Student Account Service's Website.
- You MUST notify the Office of the Registrar (121 Strong Hall, 785-864-4423, email@example.com) if your VA benefit check does not arrive by November 6 (Fall Semester) or April 6 (Spring Semester).
The consequences of NOT paying on time are:
- Holds will be placed on future enrollment and transcript requests.
- Loss of the installment payment privilege for all future terms.
If you receive grants/scholarships that are designated solely for tuition, the VA requires us to apply those funds toward tuition first and, if you have the Post-9/11 GI Bill®, the VA will pay any remaining tuition/fees.
Financial aid awards to be deducted before reporting your tuition to the VA include the following:
- KU Tuition Grant
- Federal or State Tuition Assistance
- KU Excellence
- Any other types of restricted aid designated for tuition and required fees only
Please note this list is not all inclusive. Contact the VA Certifying Official at 785-864-4423 for more information.
Not all scholarships/grants are designated for tuition. Unrestricted financial aid funds are not deducted from tuition reported to the VA.
- PELL Grant
- Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
- KU Grant
- FAS Scholarship
- Work Study
- Stafford, Perkins and Parent PLUS Loans
‘‘GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill."