Parent School Letter request

KU students taking courses at another school

You may be able to use your VA benefits to pay for those courses. The courses must be transferable and apply to the student's degree plan.

Your "parent" school is the institution that has your eligibility information, official degree plan and is on record with the VA. All other schools are "secondary."

To request your Parent School Letter:

The KU Office of the University Registrar will process your paperwork and issue the letter directly to the secondary school.

Guest students taking courses at KU

If you are seeking a degree at another school but taking a class at KU, you are considered a "guest student." The institution where you are seeking a degree is your "parent" school.

Guest students will need to:

  • Apply to KU using the non-degree seeking application. 
  • Have the VA Certifying Official at your parent school send the KU VA certifying official a "Parent School Letter" so that your enrollment at KU can be certified to the VA.
  • Visit the Use VA Educational Benefits page and complete the appropriate version of the request form.
  • Provide any required paperwork for in-state tuition based on Armed Forces Residency or (only for Students using Chapter 33 Post-9/11 GI Bill® at the 100% level who live in Missouri) the Yellow Ribbon Application.

‘‘GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at"

Our Fall 2020-Spring 2021 hours can be found here.

Staff are available to assist you virtually via email, phone or video chat. In-person assistance is limited and requires an appointment.

Please fill out our contact form so we can better assist you.

Please visit for the most up-to-date University of Kansas information.

We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Quick links

Questions? Contact us.

MASC Facebook Feed