CHAMPVA & TRICARE Verification

What is CHAMPVA?

The VA's Civilian Health and Medical Program (CHAMPVA1) is a health benefits program in which the VA shares the cost of certain health care services and supplies with eligible beneficiaries. Read the program guide for full details.

Child annuitants' school certification requirements while attending KU:

  • Full time enrollment status
  • Within one month after the first term begins, submit school certification verifying full-time enrollment
  • Recertification is required annually (at a minimum).


  • 2Select "Form Request3" on the KU certification enrollment page and fill out the form, including entering:
    • Anticipated date of graduation (list of graduation dates)
    • Last four of SSN
    • Check the box for "include credit hours"
    • The school can mail the certification for you to CHAMPVA. Include this address in the "Delivery option" - VHA Office of Community Care, CHAMPVA Eligibility, PO Box 469028, Denver, CO 80246-9028.
      Also, include a note in that box that you would like to be CC'ed on the paperwork and provide your e-mail address.

College Student Continued Eligibility for Tricare

As a student you may be eligible for TRICARE until your 23rd birthday or until you graduate, whichever comes first. For eligibility to extend beyond the age of 21, he or she must:

  • Be enrolled full-time. To verify enrollment status, complete a KU Certification of Enrollment "Form Request3." When completing this form, select that you want to have it emailed to you.
  • Depend on the sponsor for more than half of their financial support.
  • Submit this information at an ID card issuing facility4. If neccessary, ensure that your parent has signed a power of attorney to empower you to independently complete this process and renewed your beneficiary ID.

Quick Links

VA benefits questions?

Current News
MASC Facebook Feed
One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
5th nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets: Colleges," Military Times