Here is a collection of sites containing scholarship information specifically for military, veterans and their families. You can also check KU's Scholarship resource page for more information and opportunities, as well as the Private and State Scholarships page.
We also highly recommend you apply for state and federal (FAFSA) financial aid, as you may be eligible for grants, including grants on top of any VA benefits. FYI, you can apply for state and federal aid beyond the priority deadlines, but it's recommended you meet the priority deadlines for the best chances at receiving any grants:
Scholarships and financial aid resources for undergraduates and graduates
- Kansas Board of Regents Scholarship Information – Most have a priority deadline of May 1.
- National Guard Educational Assistance Program Application (fifth one down on the KBOR list)
- Air Force Association Scholarships
- The American Legion Scholarships
- AMVETS Scholarships for Veterans and Dependents
- Associates of Vietnam Veterans of America (AVVA) Better Chance Scholarship – VVA or AVVA member; spouse, child/grandchild of a member; or the spouse, child/grandchild of a KIA or MIA Vietnam veteran.
- Coast Guard Mutual Assistance – Grants, loans and scholarships.
- CollegeScholarships.org – Provides links to numerous scholarship opportunities based on military service or dependent status.
- Council of College and Military Educators (CCME) - Military/veterans/spouses. Deadline Nov. 1.
- Fleet Reserve Association Education Foundation – Those affiliated with the Navy, Marine Corps or Coast Guard through your own service or that of your spouse, parent, grandparent or great-grandparent. Opens Sept. 1.
- Military Spouse Scholarships – Opens Oct. 1.
- Military Officers Association of America Education Assistance
- Military.com Educational Assistance Programs Information
- Tillman Military Scholars – Opens in February.
- VFW "Sports Clips Help A Hero Scholarship" for E-5 or below military/veterans, given twice a year.
For undergraduates only
- Kansas Board of Regents Military Service Scholarship for undergraduate Kansas-resident students who served in OIF/OEF/Operation Noble Eagle. Priority deadline is May 1.
- Scholarships for military children – Check in December of each year for program details.
- AAPG Military Veterans Scholarship Program for undergraduate veterans in geoscience programs
- Air Force Aid Society – Scholarships, grants, loan programs for current and retired Air Force service members, spouses and dependent children
- Army Emergency Relief Scholarships for spouses and dependent children – Deadline is May 1.
- Jewish War Veterans of the USA – For high school seniors who are the children, grandchildren and/or great-grandchildren of members.
- Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation – for undergraduate and non-degree certificate programs.
- Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society – Interest-free loans and grants.
- ThanksUSA - Spouses/dependents. Opens April 1.
For wounded service members and family members of wounded/deceased service members only
- KU's Wounded Warrior Scholarship for wounded warriors and their family members (eligible KU Medical Center students may also apply).
- Kansas application for a waiver of tuition/fees for dependents and spouses of deceased military personnel
- Children of Fallen Patriots Foundation scholarships
- Folds of Honor
- Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship for children of post-9/11 fallen service members